Tuesday 23 August 2011

Fostering: It's A Weird Trip

Yeah, I know. The title isn't exactly social worker friendly. But there you go.

I looked after a three year old girl a couple of weeks back on a respite placement. That's when the child's usual foster carer needs some time free, usually for a holiday or because of ill health. She was a lovely child to have, and even though I knew she would be going back to her usual foster home at the end of the week it was impossible not to get attached.

When she left, I couldn't believe how quiet the house was. Even at night time, when she should have been fast asleep in bed, it was like I could feel that the house was emptier than it had been. I folded up some of the clothes that she'd left behind and put them in a drawer to send to her foster mother. I stripped the bed, washed the sheets and put away the Peppa Pig DVD's. What was worse, was that my husband and I realised that we'd started to talk about her like she was dead. 'Remember when she used to do this? The way she did tumbles to music?' I wasn't very upset when she went, because I had known all along that she was only with us for a week. But, knowing that I was probably not going to see her again was hard.

Then I got a call last week asking could we take her for ten days in September! I'm really looking forward to it now, and I'm going to get all her favourite things in. Also, it was her birthday in August so I can now buy her a birthday present without feeling like an over the top foster carer/stalker.

Having an energetic three year old will take some organisation on my part though. I need to get some systems in place to stop me doing the same amount of work I did last time she stayed (tl;dr: none).

Looking forward to it now, she's arriving September 2 :)

19 comments:

  1. Hello! Another campaigner popping by to join your blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, I'm so glad for you that you get to have her again next month! I can tell you're excited. It must be hard, only having the kids only temporarily - kudos to you for helping children in need like that! Clearly you (and your hubby) have a very big heart! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like she really made it into your heart=) I'm glad you get her again in September! And as for getting the energy you'll need to keep up with her AND write... Lots of caffeine, lol. That's the only way I make it with two little ones of my own=)
    (Fellow compaigner here too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you get to have her again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful thing to do! One day, maybe I'll be in a position to do such a thing. It'd be nice to make use of my childcare qualification after all!

    Also, HI GROUPIE! Urban Fantasy FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I'm happy you get to see her again! And that I know someone else doing the campaign :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is great of you to do--It sounds like a nice system to have respite spots and a good way for you to help without taking someone long-term (like a testing if you could, even). I don't know how the US does it, but it seems to be far less friendly of a system. I'm glad you get to have her again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! I'm so happy for both of you; you sound like a phenomenal foster parent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fantastic story! And that's awesome of you to make yourself available for a child in need. Okay. Serious kudos points you just earned.

    I gave you a shout-out on my blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fantastic turn of events! I'm sure you'll give her a fantastic birthday present on top of having somewhere loving and safe that she can stay/

    ReplyDelete
  11. There should be more people like you in the world! I bet she loved it every bit as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how awesome! I am so glad you will get her next week for 10 days! How cool is that? I bet she had fun with you.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool and very awesome of you to do! A Campaigner stopping by to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know just how you feel. I was away from my children for 48 hours and I felt I was missing something. It's so weird not to have them around. I'm glad you'll get your little three-year-old again for a few days next month. It sounds like you'll plan a fun time for her. What a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much, everyone! I'm super excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. She sounds delightful and clearly you both enjoy being with her. I'm sure you'll have fun when she returns.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Caring for a 3-yr-old is ambitious, especially under the circumstances...but then, you're young. Just the thought of it makes me tired...but then, I'm old...(older, that is)

    ...good for you for stepping up to challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great experience play bazaar start a new business idea. satta kinig good idea let's what's next earn money.

    ReplyDelete