Thursday 14 April 2011

N is for...Novel Status

Thanks for all the good wishes. The keys have been located, and all is well. At least until we lose something else.

I write in two genres. Young adult urban fantasy and women's contemporary fiction.I usually have two projects on the go at any one time. I just find it easier that way.

Young Adult:


Ravensborough: Fantasy novel set on an island plagued with divisions and the supernatural. Currently on hold until April 26 when I find out whether it has made it through to the semifinals of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. If it hasn't, I'll start submitting it to prospective publishers in May.

Guildhall: A work in progress. I'm working on the first draft, but have a long way to go before it's complete. I have about 11,000/70,000 words written.

Women's Contemporary Fiction:


Storms in Teacups: This is pretty much finished. I'm doing a last polish to bring it up to standard. I hope to start submitting it to agents in May.

If Life Gives You Lemons: Also a work in progress. Currently at 23,000/120,000.

I recently found out that I have to write a query letter in order to submit to a couple of agents. In Ireland and the UK the process is usually cover letter + sample chapters + synopsis. Does anyone know what the differences are between a submission cover letter and a query?



5 comments:

  1. I was under the impression that cover letter is the same as query letter--I could be wrong. I've only ever sent out queries. This part of the process is definitely not my thing. I love your title Storms in Teacups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to reading Ravensborough. Best of luck with ABNA and the agents (sounds like a 60's pop group!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cover letter and query I'm pretty sure are the same thing. Like Jeana, I've only sent out queries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, this is my take on the difference, at least in the US. With a cover letter, as you mentioned, you might also include sample chapters and synopsis. But if an agent requests a query letter you can ONLY send the query letter. Not any sample chapters or synopsis. Only if the query letter intrigues the agent do they request to see more, like sample chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you've got so much going on. Awesome.

    I used the website AgentQuery and thought it was really good. Each agent wants something different and this website keeps track of that. I would also double check the agent's or agency's website to see what is required.

    Love the title, "If Life Gives You Lemons". Good luck with Ravensborough in the ABNA. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete