Friday 22 April 2011

T is for...'The Five Things You Wish To See More of In Fiction'


Ok, so this is a little bit of a cop out, but the people over at Paper Hangover are great at coming up with blog prompts, and if I don't take them up on it then I'll end up talking about how much I missed my broadband connection. Again.

So...

5: More non-white protagonists. I'm Caucasian, but one of my sisters in Chinese and another is mixed race (my parents have seven children, but I'm the only one that's biological). I never realised until my sister's came along just how unrepresented they are in popular culture. Though that is getting better.

4: Strong female protagonists. I like there to be more going on in my YA fiction than just the love story.

3: Less of a dichotomy. Some YA books pretend that teens don't swear, drink or have sex. Other books assume that all teens do these things all of the time. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

2: More elements from medieval history, but that's probably just the historian in me. Or the fact that I've just discovered Game of Thrones.

1: More books with the name 'Christine Murray' on the front.

5 comments:

  1. Yes to all of these! Hopefully #1 will happen very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #1 too! :) And I agree with 3, I was one of those teens that didn't swear, drink or have sex and some of those books that said we all did was frustrating. Somewhere in the middle would be nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great list, especially #3. And I am hoping #1 happens soon too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCELLENT! Raising a glass to #1!

    ReplyDelete