Friday 3 June 2011

The Five Excuses You Have To Give Up To Be a Better Writer

The nice people over at Paper Hangover give a blog prompt every Friday. It's really cool, because it gives you a question to think about and you also get to read what other people think about a topic. It's seriously worth checking out.

Today's prompt is about excuses. What are the five excuses that you needed to let go of in order to be a better writer?

1) I'm too busy to write: This is a common excuse. We all have other commitments such as work, school, and family. But the truth is that you have to make time to write. Everyone can clear space in their schedule, even if it's just fifteen minutes a day, to commit to writing.

2) I'm not good enough: This a common thought that runs through a writer's head, and I'm not sure that it ever really goes away completely. It is an excuse though, because convincing yourself that you aren't good enough gives you an excuse not to try.

3) It's too hard: Writing a novel is hard, but that's not an excuse not to give it a try. And the more you write, the easier it becomes.

4) You need to wait for the muse to strike before you start writing your novel: If you have had an idea for a story, then the muse has already struck. You need to work at the rest. Though the more often you sit down at your computer and tap out words, the more often she'll stop by to visit. She's a fickle mistress, though. Don't rely on her too much.

5) I'll start writing...tomorrow: Much like the diet that you promise you'll start tomorrow, tomorrow rarely comes. Just start right now.

What excuses do you use to put off writing? Or are you all more virtuous than me?

10 comments:

  1. Here here! I agree. Fact is, there's always a reason NOT to write. What we have to do is sit down and do it anyway! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said!

    'I just have to clean the kitchen floor' is one my my favourites. And I hate cleaning the kitchen floor! Anything to avoid writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, true, and true! Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, and building off #4, I should add "I'll remember that great idea later." When the muse strikes, WRITE IT DOWN! I'm so guilty of that it's not even funny. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, completely agree with your list, and particularly what Logan said to embellish on point #4! I don't know how many times I thought of something great to write, didn't take the time to write it down, then find myself thinking I don't have anything to write about when I'm actually sitting at my computer. So my own fault and such a pesky little excuse!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Number 5 couldn't be more true! I'm always waiting for something. I don't know what, but I'm learning how to cut that out! Lovely list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! #4! What you, Logan, and Erin said is totally correct. My head always fills up with awesome scenes or lines when I'm in the most inconvenient locations (shower, class, gym) but when I sit down to write... nothing. I've started taking a little notebook everywhere I go now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny how we all love to write but find all these excuses not to.
    Great list we suffer form more or less the same excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those all sound about right to me... suffer from each and every one daily. Do you think it gets any easier after finally publishing your first book?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Okonkwo: That's so true. Yet so hard to do...
    @Talli: I hate housework! When I decide to do laundry instead of writing it's a very bad day.
    @Holly: Thanks sweetheart!
    @Logan, Erin & Brit: Writing things down is very imprtant. Except I'm forgetful and often mislay my notebook. So I have all my ideas on the back of bus tickets and envelopes. Which I quite often lose. Honestly, I'm a walking disaster area.
    @Racquel: I always think I'll be better prepared tomorrow, yet I never am.
    @Adri: It's nice to know I'm not alone!
    @Fa L'Americana: Probably not, but let's hope that we both get to find out :)

    ReplyDelete