Tuesday 14 June 2011

Last Minute Inspiration


So, I had a plan to send my novel out to agents on June 1. I overshot that, realising that I still needed to tie up some loose ends. Unfortunately, the loose ends have taken a longer time to sort out than I thought. I was all set to finish up this week, when I had inspiration for another couple of scenes. Fine, grand. But, these scenes have since taken on a life of their own. They're now fully formed chapters, with a subplot, and I felt like crying yesterday when I realised that if I wanted to write these chapters properly, then I was going to have to do some research.

And if it wasn't bad enough that my own book seems to be conspiring against me, there have been other things getting in my way.My mother-in-laws sixtieth (and the accompanying hangover) took up most of my weekend. My hands are cramping up again, and I'm getting shooting pains in my wrists. I have news articles to write, and a husband who keeps trying to persuade me to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones with him. I've made little or no progress with my two works in progress, and if that wasn't bad enough I have another novel that I need to get out on submission before the end of June. Try as I might, life just seems to get in the way.

What about you? What things get in your way when you try to write?

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate when life gets in the way like that. Hubby and I have an agreement about me and TV he wants me to watch: it happens during dinner or when I'm done with my goal for the day. Of course, Hubby tends to get in my way when I'm working. He gets chatty.

    Right now I'm in my "slow season" on the social calendar, which means I have more time than the winter. Things usually don't crop up unexpected so when life does happen, I try to schedule writing time around that.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope your wrists will feel better! Ugh, that has to be hard! Life does tend to get in the way of writing! I hope you are able to finish what you want by the end of the month. I am anxious to go and buy your book in the bookstore someday soon!!! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your wrists feel better! I hate it when life gets in the way of writing. For example; school brings me down and even though I'm hopefully done in a few months, it's frustrating because then I'm sure work will take place. Writing is a great release sometimes, but it can also be stressful.

    We just have to keep thinking of those moments that make writing worth it. Because it is worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine, the good part is there is something you're dying to write. Imagine if you had tons of time but no inspiration? For me, the new obstacle is work. I've been happily out of work for a few years. I recently got tenants for some property, so I now have some income. And this week, I re-entered the workplace, if only part time. So now Mon, Wed, Fri I'm doing photo archiving for a small paper. I'd rather be finishing up my novel. But I'm grateful. I remember when I had a full time job and I had to squeeze writing in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Alicia: I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think it's so bad because I'm so close to being finished. With a capital F.
    @Heather: You have more faith in me than I have in myself! Thank you :)
    @Krista: That's very true. Thank you!
    @Dwight: True, better too much inspiration than no inspiration at all. I can't work out how to comment on your blog nowadays...I'm a complete techie failure. I have stopped by your blog though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there's one thing you can be sure of it's that life will get in the way. I'm similar in that I like to give myself a deadline to finish a book, but I rarely ever complete a novel in time.

    ReplyDelete