Tuesday 28 June 2011

Check-In-Tuesday

Ok, so I don't have a blogging schedule. In fact, I don't have a schedule at all. I see other writers have certain topics that they talk about on their blog on certain days. This sounds great in theory, but to be honest is probably more organisation than I could handle. I'm going to try and bring some order to my life, slowly though, in case it suddenly becomes too much for me.

I've decided that I'll do a weekly posting of where I am in my writerly journey. If nothing else it will keep me accountable. Monday may be the natural day for this, but it just doesn't have the same alliterative cadence of Check-in-Tuesday. And what writer picks practicality over sound and rhythm?

WIP: Despite the best intentions of Bunowrimo, I've only managed to write 11,224 words of my current WIP. This was because polishing my other novel for submission took longer than I anticipated. That being said, I've written a third of the first draft which is fairly respectable.

Works out on submission: One.

Rejections: Two. I was expecting to feel the crushing sense of doom that I've read about so often, but I didn't. Now that I'm feeling smug and happy with myself, the next letter will very probably send me running into the garden shed, sobbing and screeching that my life is over. Or something.

Plot Bunnies Avoided: One.

High point of the week: Feeling like a domestic goddess when I baked a batch of home-made cookies.

Low point of the week: Realising that bona fide domestic goddesses do not need the help of a Google search engine to work out how to change the bag on the vacuum cleaner.

What about you guys? How are you getting on this week?

17 comments:

  1. You make me laugh! The vacuum bag Google search is priceless. I'm happy to hear you're holding up under the strain of the querying process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no formal blogging schedule either. That would be way too intimidating! Good luck with the submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good spirit! It will all work out in the end =))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to keep you accountable. I might just steal this from you myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I could handle a blogging schedule. I just blog when I can. And don't feel too bad about using Google to change a vacuum bag. This morning I had to Google if it was okay to drink milk out of the fridge that had been open all night. *embarrassing* :) Sorry about the rejections, I hope you get good news soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry about the rejections. I hope for great news soon! I have to admit I had a little laugh about the vacuum bag. I have been know to call people to find out how to do stuff like that too! I am just not that up on those type details. mom did all them so now I have to learn.

    I don't think I could stick with such a schedule either. I like the accountability too. I look forward to reading about it.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally just started blogging on a schedule two weeks ago. So far it's worked, but tonight I had to remind myself at eight that yes, it is Tuesday and my day to blog. Oops. Easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best to go slowly on the organizing gig. I was organized a looooong while back, but I slipped and have got back on the wagon again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, don't be sad about the word count. I think polishing up your novel for subbing is way more important!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of blogging one a week. And trying to do it on a certain day. Hmm... Maybe Wednesday would be a good day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah I could probably use a little more accountability in my writing schedule as well... Self motivation is great in theory, but unless I have a teacher slapping a ruler over my head I'm unlikely to put my nose to the grindstone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so funny, and I can relate. In the end it's always about what works for the individual. Whether you have a schedule or not, or whether you outline or not. Like I was telling my friend, as long as you are getting things done and setting your own goals that's all that really matters. 11K words is good anyway. But I know that editing is very time-consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you took your first rejections well. You really must share your secret. ;-)

    As for domestic godessing: meh I'm sure you have better things to worry about. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your progress. I'm with you on the rejections. Sorry that didn't go so well, but hang in there! I'm sure you'll hear positive news in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only formal blog schedule I have is which days I post. I think it helps people to know when to expect something from me if I say, hey, I'm only posting on these days during the week. I guess I sort of have a themed day on Fridays, which is my designated blog-about-anything day. So that can't really count, right?

    You got way more words down than I did. Good job! And you're way more of a domestic goddess than I could ever be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me smile because I'm in the same place as you: not getting enough work done on my WIP because of polishing up another book for submission. And so glad those rejections didn't crush you.

    As for domestic goddess tips, two words: bagless vacuum. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since you aren't used to having a blogging schedule, starting out at one day per week is a nice step. Then later on you might feel more comfortable with doing 2 per week. I had to create a blogging schedule, otherwise I would never post anything. Sometimes I set them to auto-post if I know I'm going to be busy, but I still make sure something goes up every M/W/F.

    Best of luck with your WIP and new blogging goal!

    ReplyDelete