Monday 27 June 2011

So the rain has finally stopped...

So the rain has finally stopped. Despite the past two weeks displaying the type of weather usually seen in mid-October, Ireland seems to have finally remembered that is actually technically summertime. Yesterday and today  have seen sun, blue skies and zero precipitation. For an island with a climate that is enticingly summed up as  'mild, moist and changeable with abundant rainfall and a lack of temperature extremes' this is pretty much as good as it gets. 


Hopefully it will last, because myself and the husband are going on holiday on Saturday to Wexford with my family. I have six brothers and sisters ranging from one year old to fourteen, so being cooped up indoors will not be good times. Last time my I went on holidays with my family, we ended up spending most of the holiday in matching navy rain jackets like a water-proof version of the Waltons, and had our traditional holiday ice-cream huddled in a doorway sheltering from the wind. This was on the west coast, where the weather tends to be more extreme. Hopefully Wexford, in the so-called 'Sunny South-East' will be a little bit more hospitable. How can you have a sunny south east coast on an island that has 'abundant rainfall and a lack of temperature extremes' you ask? Well, everything's relative.


Honestly, I'm really looking forward to it. The past year as been really tough, for a number of reasons, and it will be nice to get away from it all. If this will in fact be possible. I'm bringing my netbook with me, I'm worried about leaving it in the house while I'm away, and it may prove difficult to avoid writing something...


What about all of you? Do you find it hard to clock off on holiday?


On a side note, I'm up to 103 followers! Woot! I appreciate each and every follow, thank s so much :)  

10 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats on the followers, and yay for vacations! I am AWFUL about leaving work at home. Even if I don't touch the netbook, I am still thinking about my WIP.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun on vacation. I'm leaving for the beach in a couple weeks and I'm doubting any writing will get done. I will most definitely write and plot mentally, but my family would probably throw my laptop in the ocean if I pulled it out and started writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is hard not to write on vacation. That's why I don't take my computer (and the hubby doesn't let me have internet on the cell phone). I may scribble here and there, but the lack of computer makes me stop almost every time. *Almost*

    Shhhhhh...

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your vacation. Mine is in August with the inlaws and I'm totally planning on using it as a writing retreat. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's difficult to clock off. But when I do, I don't regret it. It sounds like you need a break. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a lovely holiday! And I'd suggest bringing your netbook - unless you want some good old-fashioned time writing with pen and paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a good vacation! I would have a hard time being away from my computer for a couple of days. I would be bringing mine with me.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for vacay time! I hope it's sunny. :) Also, congrats on the followers!

    I find it all too easy to clock off during vacation time, and even when it's not. Haha. But I do know what you mean. I have to take my laptop everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun on vacation! Don't worry about writing. Take a "break" from your characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah my job involves importing and exporting fruit from around the world. So when the season ends in the Northern Hemisphere, I work from the Southern...

    So just taking time off is a pain. Enjoy the vacation!

    ReplyDelete