Thursday 9 June 2011

In which Christine Discovers The Secret To Success...

First of all, I'm really excited because my blog has now had over a thousand page views! Which is great because, I love blogging. In fact, it may have overtaken perusing internet for as my number one form of procrastination. I really enjoy reading other people's blogs, because I'm inherently nosy. I've only been writing
here since March 23, but I've met so many great people in the blogosphere.

But anyway, the secret of success. As I've mentioned before I have fibromyalgia, which is basically a disorder of the central nervous system that affects how the body interprets and deals with pain. Right now I'm going through a rough time, but I won't bore anyone with the details here. Right now, I can't sleep, which is a pain, but it means I get all my journalism work done in the small hours of the morning, leaving the rest of the day for fiction work. It's amazing how productive insomnia makes you. Of course, this is a ll short lived and pretty soon I'm going to look like an extra from Dawn of the Dead, but right now it's working for me.



The second secret of success, I take no credit for. Ever wished that the whole story-telling business was less subjective and unwieldy? Well, then rejoice, for Computer Sherpa  has drawn up a Periodic Table of Storytelling. Cool, eh? It's even available in a print out format for those of us who like to prettify our workspaces. Seriously, you should check it out. You can't see it here, because the image is too small, but some of the 'element' listings are really funny. You can find it here.

Off to edit and to try in vain to increase my BuNoWriMo word count. If anyone else has any new 'secrets of success,'feel free to share them in the comment section :)

10 comments:

  1. Insomnia does make you productive. Where can I get that periodic table? That looks so cool. I want, I want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops! I put a link in but it wasn't explicit enough, I've edited it now. I'd hate not to credit the right person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend with fibromyalgia and she said exercise helped quite a bit. But I can imagine that's tough to do if you're not sleeping right. I wish I had a secret to stop that for you.

    Very cool table! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My secret of success is COFFEE! It's not really a secret,I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that chart was confusing! Pretty, but I am not sure I could make use of it.

    For me, re: success, what's really important is: striking a balance between being kind to myself, not trusting the nasty inner critic (without worrying about silencing her--it's more like "thanks for sharing")--and I try to take every opportunity NOT to procrastinate.
    Oh, and I work on being satisfied with small progress.

    Writing is a head game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I don't have insomnia, but I do wish I could stay up until the wee hours sometimes...just so I could get some more work done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Misty: I try to get as much exercise as I again. Just walking, but better than nothing I suppose. Thank you!
    @Talli: Coffee is my secret weapon too, which may just be fueling the insomnia...
    @Helen: I totally agree with you about writing being a head game.
    @Jessica: Sometimes there just isn't enough hours in the day, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know in my real life I study pain for a living. I saw some really interesting fibromyalgia stuff at the conference I went to in May. The new research is looking a lot at yoga and tai chi--apparently exercise that is gentle and uses both mind and body pieces helps actually tweak the brain chemistry a little so that pain that SHOULD only be in one place doesn't get perceived as a lot broader pain sensation. it's cool stuff.

    I hope the sleep improves, as zombies write a lot of gibberish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Hart: That makes a lot of sense actually! I may give yoga another go, it can't hurt (as long as I don't opt for Ashtanga).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Christine about yoga. My hubby does it all the time because he's had numerous back surgeries. It helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete